Pet silkie has turned on me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RodNTN, Mar 12, 2016.

1. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hey everybody,
    My broody silkie has suddenly started attacking me. My other silkie went broody a month or two ago and i don't want to put up with it again. So i have been trying to break her. It isn't possible for me to put her in a wire bottomed cage at the time. So i have been taking away all of the eggs she has and repeatedly moving her from the nest. While i'm carrying her off the nest she pecks whatever she can of me. And when i sat her on the ground she starts flogging me like a rooster and she chases me. And her and my other silkie have started fighting a lot like roosters. I thought silkies were supposed to nice . . . :( I sure ain't getting good results.[​IMG]

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Not abnormal at all. Some brood hens are docile, while others are little terrors (even Silkies). Since you don't have a wire bottomed cage, you'll just have to keep plugging along as you have been and hope she gives up soon. A cardboard box with high sides and no bedding might work. And, when you close up tonight, try removing her from the nest and putting her on the roost (after its too dark for her to see to get back to the old nest).

Good luck!

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    She isn't on the nest now [​IMG] She was actually foraging and dust bathing with the rest of the flock!!!! [​IMG] I will put her on the roost tonight after dark. Maybe i convinced her that she wasn't brooding. [​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    :woot

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Wait . . . just went outside- back on nest!!! [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]NOOOO!!!!! Got her off again set her with the rest of the flock- I'm not putting up with this. :)

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Wait, forgot this one- [​IMG] lol [​IMG]

8. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    My sweetest easter egger, who likes to be held and petted, went broody and was an attack chicken, drawing blood with her pecks. Just think, if you went around thinking you'd like children, and started buying all kind of nursery stuff and arranging your house, then someone came in. started taking your stuff, and kicking you outside, you would get pretty angry. Silkies go broody a lot...you might want to get some sort of broody breaker system going. I used a high mounted, wire bottom cage. I read some people put frozen veggie bags underneath them because the broody instinct is tied to maintaining the temperature at 99.5 for the eggs. My EE went back to her sweet ways when she was done. Well in the meantime, you can wear protective gear around your silkie, lol.

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I shouldn't need to wear protective gear, she is super tiny! [​IMG]

10. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Tiny broodys can have a Jersey Giant attitude but this too shall pass. I had a 2 lb cochin that would take on my white rock rooster while broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by