Pet Silkie - thought was a Roo, but maybe not?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SAKim, Sep 15, 2010.

1. SAKim

SAKim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Folks,
    In May I got 8 day old Pet Silkies from a local farm. One by one they started crowing and I took them back to the farm. There was one that never crowed but, at least to me, "he" seemd so Roo-ish... he was at least 1/3 bigger than the others and he got a pretty good size red comb by about 8 weeks and I thought it looked like he was getting "streamers". However, he was always kind of shy and not very aggressive. He would let me pick him up and hold him and was really really sweet. Even tho he never crowed, I took him back because I was so sure...

Today, I got a call that the Farm they went to really really thinks that"he" is a girl. "he" is still a few weeks away from laying and egg but they said "his" behaviour is very hen-like. They said the way "he" acts around the Roos and the way the Roos act around "him" makes them think "he" is actually a girl. They said "he" talks like a girl and is getting more feminine every day.

Here are some pictures that are at least 2 weeks old (14 or 15 weeks old). By looking at these pictures, does anyone see a possible hen. Its important because I only have one hen left and she is really lonely. I would love to bring "him" back but don't have much time to decide...

I don't have any really good pictures of "him" but I thought I would at least try!
    This is the last picture ... "he" is the light grey one in the middle
    [​IMG]

"he" is walking on the branch
    [​IMG]

I think this is the only close up I have of "his" face - its not very good.
    [​IMG]

2. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    looks like a roo to me

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    All of them pictured look like roos. Sorry.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    looks very rooish to me too:-(

5. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    still looks like a roo

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    All are roos.

7. SAKim

Jun 1, 2010
    Thanks Everyone.
    I guess I was just so excited when I got the call ... I really wanted there to be a mistake or something I just didn't see. That little chicken was such a sweetheart that I thought maybe, just maybe....

These are the first chickens I ever had and I got attached to every one of them... I feel soooo bad for my only little girl (hopefully), she just sits there all by herself and I know she misses the 7 others she grew up with. They were so cute when they were all together, clucking around and making noice all the time... Now, just quiet, kind of sad [​IMG]

Thanks again... if anyone knows or sees anything that MIGHT give any hope, please let me know
    [​IMG]

8. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Come visit me I have a "few" silkie GF for her [​IMG]

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Is there a particular reason you can't have a rooster?

10. SAKim

Jun 1, 2010
    Quote:I live in San Antonio and they just outlawed Roosters [​IMG] which just ticks me off -- I live 1 block from a traintrack that runs and horns all night long, my neighbors have dogs that bark everytime someone walks by or hits the speedbump in the street... and its against the law to have little Bantam Roos??

I heard there are ways around it but I'm not sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by