pet snakes

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animals1981, Feb 16, 2009.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    hey i want to get a pet king snake but i have never had a snake before! how does a angry small snake compare to an angry rooster?

what is more harder to handle?

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Why would the snake be angry?? I have had alot of snakes in my time and they were not angry.[​IMG] I would be more afraid of an angry rooster!![​IMG]

3. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    well i want to prepare myself in case. I think any animal can get angry. I wanna make sure i don't get myself into something i cannot handle

So you would say a nippy scared or angry snake is less scary then a angry rooster?

4. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have a corn snake now and she has tried to bite me, but only once when the cat knocked down her tank, but she was scared. I have had bermise pythons, ball pythons, red tail boas, a florida king snake and an african rock python. The african rock was the only mean one. If you buy it as a hatchling and handle it often, feed it in a seperate container and so forth, it shouldn't get angry.[​IMG]
    Oh yeah, I have been bit by both and I think the rooster hurt more, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    If it's not friendly you might want to pass on it and get one that is.
    We currently have ball pythons. Those are nice starter snakes, they don't get too big and are gentle natured.
    Our nastiest snakes have been the reticulated pythons. Boas are usually decent. Bermese too, but they get really big.
    We never had a king snake, so I don't know much about them. A bite from a small snake doesn't hurt too much. I have been bitten many times because the kids would catch snakes in the yard and I would hold them and gentle them so the kids were ok with them.
    If I had a choice, I think I'd rather get bit by a snake than flogged by a nasty rooster. Now, that hurts! [​IMG]

6. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I'll take the rooster! I don't have a pet snake, never will. Snakes send me over the edge. The only thing in the world that makes me freak out. My children get a good laugh:p You people who have "pet " snakes must have something wrong;)

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    If you get a young one it should not be angry and should not bite you. I have always gotten baby snakes and have never been bitten. I do have one who gets excited when I bring the rat into the room, but cross my fingers have never been bitten.

8. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:I have nothing wrong with me and I have a "pet" snake and had several more before I had my children. I never would have thought a chicken would make a good pet either. But they do. It all depends on how much time you spend with any "pet" I guess. Everyone has their own opinion.[​IMG] Maybe the people who don't have pet snakes have something wrong with them.[​IMG] JMO

9. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:I have nothing wrong with me and I have a "pet" snake and had several more before I had my children. I never would have thought a chicken would make a good pet either. But they do. It all depends on how much time you spend with any "pet" I guess. Everyone has their own opinion.[​IMG] Maybe the people who don't have pet snakes have something wrong with them.[​IMG] JMO

Agreed! I've got 7 snakes and Im just fine. People that dont own them cause they're scared have issues. Nothin wrong with a snake! [​IMG]

10. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    I have a very docile Red tailed Boa,never seen him mad use to have pytons they got mad alot after eatting or eyes glazen been bitten many this by large pyton and so I'll take the rooster attack,but if you want a really great snake PM me and I'll fix you up thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by