1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pet store didn't have any amercauna chicks but...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beverlyl, Nov 2, 2009.

1. beverlyl

beverlyl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Morristown Arizona
    they did have Buff orphintons (sp?) so I now have 10 cute little BO'S and on friday I will pick up 10 Amercaunas(probable really just EE's but they said they would be true Amercaunas). I was wondering if there is anyway to tell what sex little BOs are? they are only about 4-5 days old.

2. SheeReno

SheeReno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    By the time they hit 4 or 5 weeks the comb would be protruding quite a bit if it were a male. Our 12 week BO pullet had wattles and comb emerge a bit ago, but they haven't grown at all in several weeks.

3. Luvmybob

Luvmybob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    You know I went looking for barred rocks when I had to "settle" for Buff Orpingtons---I will never get another chicken, well I will BUT--Buff Orpingtons are the most beautiful sweetest things you'll ever see---I love my three congrats!
    [​IMG]

OH and yes about 2 weeks old I could already see the comb of my roo---it was noticeably bigger than the 2 others---that's how we could tell...or guessed...until it came out right...

That's him 4 weeks old by the water dish with my rir's
    [​IMG]

Him behind my RIR-4 weeks
    [​IMG]

Him again on my head about 5.5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Did I mention how much I luv my roo? Mr. Bob? By4-5 weeks there is no doubt~!
    [​IMG]

Him now-
    [​IMG]

Hope it helps--

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by