Pet Turkey is in a "Fowl" mood

StndUpNChr

Hatching
Jan 18, 2016
Hi all.
We have a turkey that was given to us. She lives with our 20-ish chickens for a couple years now. She gets moody every now and then. Lately, she is quite aggressive when we go in the coop to feed/water/open. She has pecked us and she generally fluffs up and comes at you. I use the feed lid to guard myself and gently kick her away when necessary. Other times, she's quite like a pet who loves to be pet and will literally close her eyes and fall asleep in happiness. She usually starts getting grumpy around Thanksgiving (do they know?!?! We aren't going to eat her) but this time it's worse than ever.
Has anyone else experienced this? Advice?

Thanks!

X2. What part of the country are you in. Seems lots of hens are laying early this year.

I can't say much there but my hen is acting like she thinks she's still a poulet she just tried to climb under my chin and is pressed against me. I do know that she's getting ready to lay an egg but she's really acting strange this time, she just came in jumped on the bed and crawled under the covers after a few minutes she stood up came out and tried to climb under my chin. Try having a 20 pound bird sitting on your neck and chest

Don't know how she could have I only went up to feed the horses and chickens she followed me up to boot. I am beginning to think she learned this my wife's dog who gets to sleep under the blankets

Back
Top Bottom