Pet Turkey keeps eating it's wounds - help!

erorke2055

Hatching
Dec 7, 2015
Maryland @ Blended Family Farm
Hello all, hoping someone out there can help. I rescued a few left over thanksgiving turkey's in bad shape from a farm. The one hen, TuTu, had obvious "mounting" wounds on both sides under her wings. When I got her home I began treating her with both topical and oral antibiotics. Came out the other day and she had pecked her wound open, it's about 1.5" deep. I gave her a salt bath, dried her and the wound and treated her with wound care cream (seal wound cream). Came out this morning and she began to peck at her other wounded wing and again is a bloody mess. It is only her that is pecking herself. Her face and beak are covered in blood. The other companion hen turkey with her doesn't peck. I offer them both healthy daily greens with feed. I'm at a loss and after searching for a poultry vet, found one 31/2 hours away from me and with holidays can't get her there till next week. Any help! thanks for your help -Erin

I have had a few hens with mating wounds. Most we leave alone and the hens do keep them clean themselves. If they aren't too deep we put some bluekote on them. It's possible the stuff you are putting on the wounds is causing her to clean them too much. I would try nothing on the wounds first to see if it makes a difference. Otherwise you might have to wrap her or put a hen saddle on, though I don't know for sure if either would work as I've never tried them.

Thank you for your message. I might try the hen saddle, thank you that advice. I did get an appointment for her to see a bird vet on Monday. I've heard birds can have OCD, and that is another self mutilating cause. Never knew Turkeys were so complicated!

I'm glad you have access to a vet. Hopefully they will be able to help her. Poor girl. Turkeys are emotional bird who are always thinking. Stress can cause odd behaviors. Turkeys can get really upset when moved to a new home or when they are denied access to somewhere they want to be. I have had hens fence walk for hours trying to get to the other side, as well as rub their snod on the wire enough for them to lose it because they are so determine.

I'm learning, I had no idea how emotional and social they are, my chickens are socially and emotionally so different than my turkeys. I've gotten quite attached to my rescues. We had to put one down because he had bumble foot so bad he couldn't walk. Now Tutu the one that is eating herself today when I went to feed her, she is limping, I think the infection is spreading to her leg....can't wait for the vet to see her today. Thanks again!

Good luck. Are they broad breasted? Unfortunately they don't often live long due to heart troubles. Turkeys certainly are a different type of birds.

Back
Top Bottom