Pet turkey sleeping a lot?

newpoultrymom

Hatching
May 28, 2016
Hi, we got my son a pet turkey several weeks ago and so far he's been doing great. He's been inside in a box as we had learned quickly the gnats would kill him so we trying to get spray to prevent those little boogers. We came home last night and found he had gotten out of his box while we were gone and now he just seems to want to sleep. Is he sick, or just tired out from wreaking havoc in my house??

I wouldn't be spraying things around him, that could cause problems. Turkeys will eat gnats if they can catch them. It cruel to keep a single bird, they are flock animals and need their own kind for company so I would try to get a few more. Are you providing extra heat and what are you feeding it? How old is it?

I stopped providing extra heat about a week after we got him. I'm not exact on his age, I wasn't told when we got him. I think around 3 weeks old when we got him. We actually had chickens with him but the gnats killed them. I've been feeding him the same feed we had for the chicks, the feed store said they could eat it. Though I've been reading that they like more fruits and veggies, too? Would he be alright in a flock of chickens or would he do better with another turkey? I have checked him out and his feet and legs look like they might have just a bit of swelling. So wondering if I might should get him some antibiotics. We want this little guy to make it!!

I suspect something other than gnats killed the chicks. Possibly cold. They should still be under heat, especially this turkey now that it is alone. Also, turkeys need higher protein than chicks. What is your brooder setup like? Hopefully you have fixed it so he can't get out again. They Peck and try to eat everything. I would give him some grit in case he swallowed something. Can you post pics?

I suspect something other than gnats killed the chicks. Possibly cold. They should still be under heat, especially this turkey now that it is alone. Also, turkeys need higher protein than chicks. What is your brooder setup like? Hopefully you have fixed it so he can't get out again. They Peck and try to eat everything. I would give him some grit in case he swallowed something. Can you post pics?

Not that I necessarily agree that gnats killed the chicks but here is a source attributing Buffalo gnats with the destruction of a turkey flock.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/turkeys.html

Not that I necessarily agree that gnats killed the chicks but here is a source attributing Buffalo gnats with the destruction of a turkey flock.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/turkeys.html

Interesting. After re reading OP's posts I see they must have been outside when the chicks were killed. I was thinking they were inside so I couldn't imagine there being enough gnats to kill them!

Back
Top Bottom