Pet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Phobia, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Phobia

Phobia New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Can I have 1 chicken as pet

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I would recommend keeping 2 or 3, so they keep each other company when you are not around, 1 lone chicken gets very bored and lonely. I hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as I have!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Phobia, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us. Chickens are pretty social beings and generally do not do well singly. That said, many on BYC have single chickens as pets - inside the house as well as out. I think it takes a higher level of commitment than just raising them for eggs, etc. Type in 'chicken as pet' into the BYC search box and get ready to read - a lot of old threads on the matter. Best of luck to you!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

5. Phobia

Phobia New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Thankyou

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That depends on your definition of pet. If you treat it like a dog or cat, i.e. keeping it inside the house, diapered, and giving it plenty of attention, then yes, you can have just one chicken. Chickens are very social animals - so if they don't have another chicken for company, they need the same kind of attention and interaction as any other animal.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Absolutely!! Please check out "people with house chickens," thread. Just put that in the search box and it will come up. Chickens are flock animals but, I know they can consider humans as their flock . The Serama breed of tiny chickens were purposely developed in Malaysia to be house pets.. my friend has had house pet chickens for over 25 years - various breeds: cochins, silkies, buff orpingtons and seramas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by