Petals didn't make it

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LillianMae, Mar 18, 2013.

1. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    I've been raising chicks my whole life so it's expected to lose at least one. She was the smallest one so I think that mighta had something to do with it. She was my favorite one so I was fairly disapointed. Trying to be optimistic though. My sister's friend named one of the RIR chicks, she named "him" Copper, one of the Black sex links (I can't tell if it's an andalusian blue or a link) I named Black Sparrow as in Jack Sparrow. Then I named the now only Cali Grey Earl Grey. Then the other RIR is named Goldilocks. I have yet to name the last three. I am going to be keeping eight chickens at first (next year I might get more), so I will be replacing Petals sometime in the next couple days. Probably with either a golden laced wyandotee or a silver laced wyandotte.

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm very sorry for your loss. I had the displeasure of losing my very first chicks. Losing chicks is an awful thing.

3. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Yeah, I went in there and I was like,"1 2 3 4 5 6 7...? Wher's number eight?" I hate finding little dead chicks

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

When it happened to me, it was- where are my chicks?! At that time we didn't have land but my in-laws have plenty with chickens and goats and they gave me permission to raise some chicks and add them to the flock. I had 2 beautiful silkies though I only remember Cici well. A gorgeous little buff. Sweet as can be. They had only just feathered out. One morning when I went to visit my babies I found an empty broader. It fell to my MIL to tell me that my FIL had gotten complacent and decided my chicks were old enough to put in the pen without telling or asking me. They were ripped to pieces. I was devestated. My FIL dealt so bad about it he built me my own coop and they got me some grown silkies. I still have that roo. He's 9. Now we have our own land I've gone chick crazy! LOL.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Aww that would suck. Our last chickens got ripped to pieces by owls, because we were using our barn for the first time for chickens and left the eaves open

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by