Petco fish opinions needed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MonkeyZero, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    HIYA!!! [​IMG]

Well My dad picked up a really nice and big fish tank for me.
    It has a filter and everything. It has only 1 comet goldfish...
    Now I want more.
    I needed some opinions about PETCO's fish

1) What would be better, fancy fantail golfish or regular feeders(I will not feed my fish to anything)

2) Who/What lives longer in those 2 options

3) share your experience(optional).

Thank you so much!
    [​IMG]

2. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    What size tank is it?

Long bodied goldfish tend to be too fast and aggressive towards fancy goldfish.
    Since goldfish excrete alot of ammonia and get huge, it is recommended that they have atleast 20 gallons for the first goldfish, and an additional 10 gallons per additional goldfish.
    Strong filtration is also needed.

When properly cared for, they have lifespans of 20-30 years. The oldest goldfish lived to be 43 years of age.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  3. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    How big is your fish tank?

4. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Gosh
    BIG
    55-60 gallons? Most likely 55
    And plus I have a pond being built in the back(will be ready at the end of the month probably). The pond will be empty, until the fish outgrow the tank.

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Make sure you look at the tanks first, you're looking for sick or dead fish, if you see them, don;t buy. If you see fish that look like they've got fluffy cotton stuck to them, don;t buy (it's called Ick, it's a fungal parasite). Since you have a fancy already, stick with fancies. I would add scavenget fish or a few snails to work on the algae growth (more waste = faster growth) you could fit a plec in there easily, or some lovely apple snails.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I personally like Shubunkin goldfish the best. I stocked them and feeders in my pond. The feeders grew up to be various patterns of orange, white and black. Don't know how old they are, since they breed in the pond. If any of the originals are still alive they'd be about 9 years old.

Imp- Watch out for Herons

7. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    The tank is about 2 years old(the old owner had it for 2 years).
    This means the tank is cycled right?
    I don't plan to add anything other than maybe 1 small feeder, and a fantail and possible a black moor/oranda. And ghost shrimp(fun fun..., dinner for fishies)(about 4 of them).
    I have lots of plants etc in there and want only a VERY small about of fish. SO 3-5 is enough for me.

8. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    PS lol [​IMG]
    We don't get herons lol.
    I only have to worry about my silkies and dogs going fishing...

So is it Ok to buy them from a petco?

9. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I had shibunkins too. I loved them! I had an outside waterfall/pond and brought them in for the winter (I was paranoid they wouldn't survive the KS weather) It was the last time I did too. They were up to 12 inches long and dirtied the tank and it had to be cleaned daily! Comets are nice also. Try looking for a store that specializes in ponds and waterfalls. Some of those places sell fish too.

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Saddina's advice is good. If the tanks at Petco are clean and the fish look healthy, go ahead and buy there. I think every Petco would be different depending on the staff.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by