Petit Poussin - what breed

deblouw

Hatching
Feb 2, 2017
Hallo from a sunny South Africa, can anyone give me any information on Petit Poussin. What chicken breed should be used. If I use a broiler chick, I should have it slaughtered at 3 weeks? Seems a bit cruel to me. Was thinking of going with one of the local breeds (potchefstroom Koekoek) which is used for meat and eggs. Not sure. I cant find any information on the internet and its really frustrating! Not even on what to feed, just that they have to weigh about 750grams. Any information would be helpfull. Thanks.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't know exactly what that is, but since it basically sounds like tiny chicken, I'm thinking our American equivalent would be a Cornish Game Hen. and yes, that's a broiler chick, slaughtered at I think 3 weeks of age. Not sure why it would be more cruel to slaughter at 3 weeks vs 8 weeks? Dead is dead either way, and if you slaughter correctly it's not cruel at all.

I think folks just feed regular broiler starter feed.

You could probably use dual purpose cockerels, but it's going to take longer and you'll have a ton more bone vs meat at that size.

Back
Top Bottom