Petition Oprah to do a story on Livestock

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Corey NC, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    A couple of weeks ago, Oprah did a show exposing what goes on in puppy mills. During the show she suggested that it was excusable for the breeders to treat the dogs abysmally because they think of them as livestock.

I know most people here agree that the way livestock are treated in comercial situations is wrong and cruel. Please if you want to try and make a difference sign this petion to get Oprah to do a program on the abysmal treatment of livestock. If you'd care to take a look, or sign, here's the petition. If you think it's worthwhile, pass it along.

It's probably a long shot, and while Oprah may not be the perfect person to tackle this subject, she did provide an opening to deal with this issue, and she has a HUGE audience. If enough people sign, perhaps she'll consider it.

Thanks for any support. [​IMG]

2. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Nobodys interested in signing? [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Nope...I'm not interested in signing. I don't agree that most livestock is treated badly. As a cattle person and farmer I think it's sad that so many people are mis-informed about how most of us treat our livestock. It's always the few bad apples in the bunch that they pick out to high-light and make it seem like we're all that way.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Read my other post that is what I really thing.
    Sorry,
    Henry

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I think you'd be better off asking someone who's set foot on a farm or ranch before if you want an accurate representation.

6. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    What about those people who do treat the livestock horribly? Don't you want any action taken aginist them? They are the ones that give proper cattle owners bad raps.

hcammack -

neither do I! But millions of people do and if anyone can make a difference she can. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Thank-you Cara!!

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Ok I read it an in all honesty I can't sign it I agree with Katy and this is a completly vegiterian/ vegan view I believe that meat is great and that if animals are raised right they should be treated as "livestock" and not pets. I also think "livestock" should not imply treating animals poorly just as pets does not imply that you are treating your animals well.

Good Luck,
    Henry

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    The issue is what looks harsh to an outsider is often a necessity, and Oprah is looking for shocking footage and ratings, not necessarily accuracy.

10. jacca5

jacca5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    I don't agree with it so I am not going to sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by