Petmate LeBistro Microban Waterer - Has Anyone Used This?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by corliss, Jun 19, 2011.

1. corliss

corliss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    I was at Target today and they had a small size dog waterer with a one gallon gravity drip system that goes into a large bowl. I looked it up on line and they also have 5 gallon ones available. Has anyone ever used this and if so, how did it work for you? I'm using large dog bowls right now but I would like to have something even larger to ensure that they never run out. And, yes, I did try the nipple system but my chickens refused it.

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I use the 1/2 gallon for my dogs and cat, but not for chickens. I have the Little Giant 1 gallon and 5 gallon for them (red plastic screw on base). I have about 9+ gallons out all teh tiem for 6 chickens.

Don't believe the Microban part. The waterer gets just as slimy as the untreated Little Giant waterers I got at the feed store cheaper. I would think it would be fine for the chickens as a good waterer. The nice part is the dirt won't back up into the bottle of the Petmate like it can with the Little Giant. My chickens like to scratch the water bowl base.

3. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    I have one for my cats and really like it. I add a touch of bleach to the jug and that makes a big difference in how long the water stays tasty. I'd use it for chickens, too, but put it on something so they don't have to bend so far down to drink. I try to make waterers high enough that they can get a fairly full beak at a time.

4. Galwrestles4fun

Galwrestles4fun New Egg

Nov 26, 2008
    Ct
    I have used the Bistro waterer for my dog for many years with excellent results. When it gets a bit slimey, I fill it with bleach water overnight and it is good as new the next day. I am going to try it for my chickens, as I find the galvanized wtaerer i have now makes the water rusty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by