pets and family!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dntd, Jan 2, 2010.

1. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    O.k I have a bunch of well cared for pets, many of them reptiles/amp,2 rabbit, 1 guinny pig,2 cockaiels,1 dog, 2 stray cats,8 rats for breeding. My family is really miffed at my chickens in the basement. They claim they will make my kids sick, are dirty and one who is a real winner said cps should take my kids. My own mother said I had a screw lose because of the chickens but apparently I'd be ok if I owned a farm? I have 4 bantam chickens in my basement were the kids have no access to them, they will be out side in 3 months they aren't that messy though they are a bit dusty.Is it that odd to own chickens?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I say, just ignore them. Who really cares what they think? I wouldnt..

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

CPS will laugh them right out the door. What a buncha busybodies. 4 chicks???? Good grief, you've gone and done it now. [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Is it that odd to own chickens?

Yes it's odd to own chickens. Everyone knows that chickens own us. [​IMG]

The only odd thing is that you only have 4, and they're not on the dining room table, playing with your kids.

Imp​

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Uhh...I vote for ignoring them too! Ask them what the difference is between 4 bantam chickens and 2 cockatiels (beside the number). Geesh! [​IMG] They both poop, eat and make noise...just one lays eggs for you to eat! [​IMG]

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    A lot of non-chicken people think chickens are dirty. They're just uneducated - ignore them. [​IMG]

"What's the difference between a parrot and a chicken?"
    "About $3000."

A bird is a bird is a bird, in my opinion. [​IMG]

If you want to cut down on the dust, try using compressed pine pellets in the horse area of the feed store.

7. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Well I would tell you what I would tell them, but the mods will yell and point at me so I won't!! To me, as long as the animals don't come between your family and their food, shelter ect, who cares?

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am stuck on the "call CPS" thing. What the heck???? ALL animals make a mess of some kind. That is just ignorance if you ask me. I think the OP needs to educate her family a little.

9. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    I have chicks in the breakfast nook. They're slightly messier than the dogs and cats, but that's because I used shavings that I had on hand and they like to play in their food pan.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well to start off with, yes, a lot of people seem to think chicken owners are crazy, dirty people! But what can you do? You can't fix stupid! I say if it's your house, your paying the bills and everybody is clean and well fed then it's time to tell everybody what they can do with their opinions! If they don't like it they should stay away!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by