1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pets Pack Red Cedar Bedding

Discussion in 'Quail' started by konjo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Has anyone tried " Pets Pack Red Cedar Bedding " I know that fumes Of the Cedar Itself are Toxic but is this Product ok or not

Thanks Konjo

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    know that fumes Of the Cedar Itself are Toxic​

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:
    "I know that fumes Of the Cedar Itself are Toxic"

Cedar Bedding

What do you think?​

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    This is the thing i don't get, when i go out and hunt or fish i always see quail hiding under cedar trees?

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Probably because the oil is inside the tree. They can be around the trees but when the trees are cut they release their oil.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:The aromatic oils are within the wood, and when the wood is cut they are released. More surface area = more aromatic oil released. Shavings are a LOT of exposed surface.

Konjo, the answer is no.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    being under the cedar foliage but out in the open landscape probably is fine because there is adequate "ventilation" and like you said little to no oil that produces fumes. So when the heart wood, cortex, etc. is cut up it releases the oils and since you putting it all in a quail pen there is a high enough concentration that it suffocates the quail. Correct?
    Now what about other animal species? I can speak for myself that i have used cedar shaving when i have ran out of pine for ducklings many times and haven't lost any?

8. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Oh Well I guess I answered my own question and you all confirmed what I have been reading in the post thank you all for your input.
    [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I was under the impression that it shouldn't be used for birds at all. I've even been told not to use it for dogs, especially hunting dogs.

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    imho and from what I have read, the oils and fine dust particles in the cedar shavings can cause respiratory distress when inhaled, think about it, while standing in a cedar closet smells good for a second, would you want to be in there all day? what if there was fine dust whipping around, getting inhaled and in our eyes, how long would we be good for?

the ducks may be ok for a minute , and they splash water around alot don't they? would keep the dust down. and they are only in it for a week or so, think longer term if you plan on housing something in it for its lifetime.

I am lucky, the farm and lumber here keeps a great pine shaving, very springy and compressed.

my 2 cents, stick with pine shavings, leave the cedar in the closet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by