Pets Pack Red Cedar Bedding

konjo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Santa Clarita, Ca
Has anyone tried " Pets Pack Red Cedar Bedding " I know that fumes Of the Cedar Itself are Toxic but is this Product ok or not

Thanks Konjo

Quote:
The aromatic oils are within the wood, and when the wood is cut they are released. More surface area = more aromatic oil released. Shavings are a LOT of exposed surface.

Konjo, the answer is no.

Last edited:
being under the cedar foliage but out in the open landscape probably is fine because there is adequate "ventilation" and like you said little to no oil that produces fumes. So when the heart wood, cortex, etc. is cut up it releases the oils and since you putting it all in a quail pen there is a high enough concentration that it suffocates the quail. Correct?
Now what about other animal species? I can speak for myself that i have used cedar shaving when i have ran out of pine for ducklings many times and haven't lost any?

Oh Well I guess I answered my own question and you all confirmed what I have been reading in the post thank you all for your input.
smile.png

Quote:
I was under the impression that it shouldn't be used for birds at all. I've even been told not to use it for dogs, especially hunting dogs.

imho and from what I have read, the oils and fine dust particles in the cedar shavings can cause respiratory distress when inhaled, think about it, while standing in a cedar closet smells good for a second, would you want to be in there all day? what if there was fine dust whipping around, getting inhaled and in our eyes, how long would we be good for?

the ducks may be ok for a minute , and they splash water around alot don't they? would keep the dust down. and they are only in it for a week or so, think longer term if you plan on housing something in it for its lifetime.

I am lucky, the farm and lumber here keeps a great pine shaving, very springy and compressed.

my 2 cents, stick with pine shavings, leave the cedar in the closet.

Back
Top Bottom