1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PetSmart visit ends in BYC cricket massacre

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 6, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I hit Pet Smart today to get things for my neighbors' barking dogs (clicker, treats). I picked up 2 cats toys for my cats, who played wit them for about 30 seconds. Next time I'll just wad up tin foil.

I also got 30 crickets.

Lessons learned:
    1. Don't let the chickens see the bag of crickets. Gwen popped a hole in the bag within 4 seconds of my bringing it into the back yard.
    2. Make sure the banty gets a couple. The others were total pigs.
    3. Don't hold a cricket. Gwen popped it on my hand. [​IMG]
    4. See & remember rule #1. Gwen grabbed the bag from me about 2 mins later and ran away with it, spilling all but about 3-4 crickets on the ground. Those were gone in .067 seconds, once the chooks realized what had happened. So much for giving them some crickets tomorrow. [​IMG]
    5. When you pull the last cricket out of the bag and it's cleaning its antennae, tell it that it doesn't matter how clean the antennae are - they're still delicious.
    6. Don't let chickens see your fingers for about 5 mins after the feeding frenzy is done. They will still be excited and will try to grab your fingertips just in case there's a hidden cricket on your skin. [​IMG]

That was fun!

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG]

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    So funny...and so true!!

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That sounds awesome.

Have you ever tried to take a chicken into PetSmart? They always advertise that they welcome all sorts of pets to visit the store. Bringing a big rooster into the store would rule!

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    [​IMG]

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:How about a little Dutch Rooster that likes to ride on a shoulder. Screech would be constantly talking and crowing.

Matt

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I wanna have fun too! headed to Petsmart tomorrow. Thanks for the idea. [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Rule #7 next time buy MORE CRICKETS

[​IMG]

9. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

I should buy some crickets for my chooks.

10. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    LOL has anyone ever seriously took their chicks/chooks to petsmart? I want to now! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by