Petunia hit head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lincolnsilkies, Sep 23, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Well my Calico Silkie Petunia was in the door way of the coop and jumped up cause she got scared hit her head and fell face first out the door which is about 8 inches off the ground i think it hurt her really bad she just layed there kept falling asleep i checked her neck it seems fine there was no bleeding i put her in a cage by herself and she is just kind of laying there i had to leave to work but i have a friend there with her i think it is just a waiting game to see what happens unless anyone has any suggestions? Thank you. I just had her pic on here because she crowed the other day and i was afraid she was going to be a boy but then she layed a egg and i was so happy!! and then this happened she is one of my favorites i sure hope she gets better sorry if i put this in the wrong area but i thought mayba people might have suggestions on if there is anything else i could do to help her

2. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

She may just need the isolation, warmth and quiet for a few days until she feels back to normal. Just keep an eye on her. If she's not eating in a day or so, then you may have something to worry about. You may even want to put a little crushed low-dose aspirin in her water - it's a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory.

3. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Thank you I will try that! Well i just got home and she is not doing very well hope this will help her!

4. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thinking good thoughts - and wonder if she sustained some sort of brain injury, based on the description of how she fell.

5. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Thank you. Well i just lost my Petunia that was such a freak accident one minute i was holding her and watching her eat pasta next minute she is gone so very sad as she had such a great personality and i loved my little petunia she was part of the family some of my friends and family wonder how you can care for a chicken as much as i do n e ways she will be missed very much

6. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    I'm so sorry you lost her.

7. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    So sorry she's gone and so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was a really special chicken, and especially special to you. I'm so sorry this happened -

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry you lost her.

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I'm sad to hear of it and sorry for your loss. It sounds like a classic case of head trauma but I don't recall hearing of something like this here happening to a chicken. I'm sure it does from time to time. I wish we had an answer.

10. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry for your loss.[​IMG] Being a silkie , Petunia has what I believe is called vaulted skull in which the brain is partly outside the skull. This would probably explain the extent of her injury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by