Pft, " the law " ... : )

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by XL506, Jul 24, 2008.

1. XL506

XL506 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Ohio
    Well, in the city ( New Carlisle, Ohio ) where I live. I've found out I'm not suppose to be keeping poultry within the city limits. ( I'm also not suppose to have my 10-15 pythons lol ). Luckily I live on the VERY edge of town, and the only thing behind me house is a 300acre farm. And all my direct neighbors are old hillbillies and love the chickens lol. An officer actually came to the house when I was putting my fence up to show me the line between my yard and the farm. And saw the chickens and asked if anyone complains about them. and I was like no, they like them and are looking forward to fresh eggs. and he was like, yeah I love me some eggs. and that was it. But we won't tell him I have a garage dedicated to housing/breeding my pythons, and boas. because a 15ft snake isnt as cute as a pretty hen lol. ( Also the cop told me, " Just make sure you dont get any roosters ).. And Im fine with that.

2. LindaA

LindaA New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    Are you still raising chickens in New Carlisle? I am interested in your "success" as I am going to be leading a discussion on "Urban Farming" at the New Carlisle Public Library starting next week.

3. seanc7

seanc7 Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2014
    New at keeping a flock, I built my own hen coop. Learning as I go, lesson one hawks like chickens, so I enclosed their run. I free range my roosters but secure them at night, again prediters. I really enjoy watching them enteract with one another, and eggs. I have now gotten some turkeys, much different from the chickens. But just as neat to watch. I learn a lot about them both on hear a pinrest

4. WYNot

WYNot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Casstown, OH
    Lived in the area (Casstown) all my life and Grandparents had a farm outside of New Carlisle so was in and through town quite a bit and never knew New Carlisle had a library.

Is the Urban Farming discussion a series? Or is it simply the same event held multiple times?

5. LindaA

LindaA New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    It's going to be an ongoing thing. I am hoping to create a group to support each other and "evangelize."

6. WYNot

Mar 19, 2013
    Casstown, OH
    So, how did the first meeting go? Wasn't able to make it. Didn't get out of work till 7pm. Any notes that can be shared?

7. LindaA

LindaA New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    Precisely 1 person showed up ---- me. We will give it another week and the library and I are going to see if we can promote it more. This time we only had the Library's facebook account, the New Carlisle News, and the Springfield News Sun. :-( Thanks for asking!

8. wholehearted

wholehearted Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Ohio
    I hope you get some response to the series, Linda. Would be great if more people get interested in chickens. I live near Springfield. We have just under an acre, but I'd want chickens even if we have a smaller urban lot in the future. It would be great to see the surrounding cities become more chicken-friendly.

9. LindaA

LindaA New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    Me too!!!! Thanks for the cheering on!!!

10. WYNot

Mar 19, 2013
    Casstown, OH
    Any better turnout yesterday?

Sorry, really wanted to make it but working in Minster just makes too much of a drive to get over to New Carlisle after a long day of work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by