Phantom feather picker

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SueMuffin, Feb 4, 2011.

1. SueMuffin

SueMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I finally found out that my rooster is not molting, he is being picked clean by one of my FBCM hens!! I saw her do it to all the other hens as well, so I separated her in a kennel for the last 4 days. I let her free range with them yesterday to see if she got the idea that she could go back if she behaved. Well she didn't get the message, as soon as the roo had his way with her she went right back to picking his and the other hens feathers out. What, short of culling, can I do with this hen, she is laying nice dark, #7 on the marans egg scale, eggs. Will I have to keep her away from the rest till its clear enough to free range with the other again? That could be June with all the snow we have on the ground here in NY. Can I put her in with my BO and hope she doesn't pick them clean too? Please help!!![​IMG]

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

3. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    WOW! Cool product! I didn't even know something like this exists.

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I bought some recently, but haven't put any on yet. I understand from other BYCers that you don't need the special pliers ~ just soften them a bit in some hot water which makes them easier to put on. It probably would help to have 2 people ~ one to hold the chicken and one to put on the peepers. They are easy to remove too, by cutting the thin piece above the nose. I friend of mine uses them on the pheasants they raise for release and just snip them off right before they release the birds.

5. SueMuffin

SueMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    thanks for the replys, but how long do you have to leave them on, and how do they breath is you put them in the nostils?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by