pharmaceutical companies

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bergurk, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bergurk

bergurk New Egg

Oct 26, 2010
    I would like to get some opinions on something that has been on my mind lately regarding pharmaceutical companies.

Hi all,

just wondering what other people think about the following

Do you believe that the side effects of taking some medications are intentional, designed to keep people sick and dependent on there medicines
    or do you believe any side effects are just a by product that cant be helped and these companies really are doing all they can to make people better while still making a profit?

I find that the more I think about this the more confused I become.

Is there really a bunch of evil scientists in their lab working on ways to keep you sick?

If so where do the companies find these people?

Do they place a job advertisement in the paper asking for all evil minded people with a background in pharmaceuticals and a desire to harm there fellow man to apply?

Would highly educated people really want to make others suffer or would a highly educated person want to use the knowledge to help others. I like to think that anyone who is smart enough to be in these positions would want to help their fellow human.

But….. I realise there are very intelligent people who will do these jobs. Weapons companies are a fine example of this. People who design bullets or bombs really have no excuse and would have to know that their knowledge is going to be used to harm other people, yet this is what they choose to do.

Anyway, enough said, I would love to hear what others think about this.

Cheers..

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Side effects are just what the name implies. Bad thing will always happen when you put unnatural substances in to your body.

3. bergurk

bergurk New Egg

Oct 26, 2010
    i agree, natural things are best for us but do you think the side effects of some medications are made to keep people sick or are they just
    a by product that cant be removed from the medications and the pharmaceutical companies are doing the best they can to help make people healthy.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Conspiracy theories are everywhere.

Personally, I think, well, KNOW, there is a lot of nasty chemicals in the water, air and soil. Sometimes I think pharm drugs are just an attempt to counter those....using one chemical against another.

That said, I'm on meds forever. I'm ok with it - I'm a hell of a lot more functional with them than without them.

As for judging folks who work for weapons companies, well, I beg to differ. Bullets are used for hunting or match shooting, "bombs" or explosives are used for demolition to allow new buildings or landscapes. Besides, they make fantastic fodder for shows like Mythbusters. [​IMG]

5. bergurk

bergurk New Egg

Oct 26, 2010
    Hi Booker,

Glad to hear your meds make you feel better [​IMG]

I do enjoy hearing a good conspiracy theory!

I am asking this as I watched some stuff on you tube and there are so many videos on the topic of vaccinations and mercury
    and the control these companies have world wide etc that I wanted to get an idea on what other people think.

As for weapons companies I can accept that some bullets are made to be used for hunting but bombs in my opinion are developed to cause
    as much destruction as possible.

Anyways, each to their own.

By the way, I haven’t just become a member of this forum to discuss this topic, I have six chickens, used some info I found here to build my nesting boxes
    and have spent hours reading about chickens. They are awesome little animals!

Just thought I’d add that [​IMG]

Cheers.

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I don't know if the side effects of drugs could be intentional, but I think there are entities that want everyone medicated for something. Could be for money or control; the reason doesn't really matter. But you look at some of these side effects and they're worse than the problem the drug is designed to treat [​IMG]

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't remember the drug, DH probably would, but the company KNEW it caused the side effects that ended up killing people and there is/was a huge lawsuit about it. I don't know if I would call it a conspriacy, but I do not MD's are not trained in nurtition, and a LOT of them are nothing more than pill pushers, because they don't know what else to do with us. I was talking to a girl I work with yesterday and her husband is a paranoid sch. and he was on 8 different meds. Was denied SS after his 7 year renewal and now is on nothing, and doing fine. . .but makes me wonder what will happen when all those drugs are completely out of his system too. DD is on 8 different kinds of depression medications, and I think its overkill, she is non-functioning and wouldn't have set the world on fire in the good days [​IMG] but now she is really out of it. LOTS of side effects that are not good at all, and if you read that tiny print insert they put in most of the meds now, it would scare the average Joe to pieces.

But, on the flip side, DH takes 13 different medications every day, as well as 2 insulins and if he didn't he wouldn't be here . . . so for that I am very thankful. On the other hand, his family MD, who has now passed didn't research one of the BP drugs he took and had been double dosing him for about 14 years, which in turn caused him to HAVE to take the highest dosages of other BP meds to keep it under control, since his body got use to it, and BP was off the charts when they tried to take him off of the original. Not a good thing and we could have sued if we were that kind . . .Dr even admitted he had been doing it [​IMG] which was unheard of.

I think its all about the money, if DH lost his insurance, we would lose everything we had. We have talked about this many times, because it would be thousands of dollars every month for his meds if we had to pay for them. Scary.

8. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    I'm not sure what happens on the company level but I currently work in academic research and we look at how chemical compounds interact with lung cells. We are interested in injury and repair and how to manipulate the body's own repair mechanisms to accomplish this. This will mostly be done through depressing or stimulating different cellular molecular pathways. These pathways are not organ specific although they have varying degrees of importance from tissue to tissue.
    You just have to look at the classic example of the COX2 inhibitors to understand how very complex this can be.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COX-2_inhibitor
    It is a balancing act between how much good a drug will do and how much harm to everything else it can do.
    I may have chronic pain so I take Celebrex but my heart is fine. Well, I've just inhibited prostaglandins (which are a part of the pain pathway) and these prostaglandins also play a role in healthy heart function.
    Now, the pharmaceutical companies know this but have posted a warning to not give this to people with heart conditions. Fine. However, if I have an undiagnosed heart condition then I may have problems. Side effects that go away when I stop using it. Or I suffer a fatal heart attack because of the perfect storm of undiagnosed heart condition, wrong medicine and my unique physiological makeup.
    Do I blame the drug?
    Sure it was the drug. However, this is a risk you take anytime you try to manipulate your body's function with drug compounds. It is the inherent problem with all drugs. There is no 'magic pill' that goes straight to the problem (not yet, anyhow), the drug goes to every part of your body and affects whatever it is meant to affect and some things that just have the same type of function. Here is where correct dosaging comes in. [​IMG]
    These drugs are titered to create maximum good effect with minimal bad effect but we are all a little physiologically different. There is no possible way each and every problem with a drug can be identified but I think the pharmaceutical companies do try to do their best. It is not in their best interest to be slapped with a class action lawsuit.
    So I can't believe there is a conspiracy.
    There will always be sick people so there will always be business for drug companies. We think a pill should take care of all our illnesses but in reality it is just postponing the inevitable and in the end all drugs fail. The best drug is a healthy lifestyle. Exercise, a healthy diet and stress management.
    I never understand, for example, people who smoke and then get ticked when their COPD meds makes them constipated and gives them a runny nose. [​IMG]
    Anyhow, I'm jumping off my soapbox and going to work. Y'all have a great day. [​IMG]

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My husband takes meds to control seizures. They side effects can be bad. Now he is on Tegretol which seems to be doing good with less side effects. I know taking medicine can seem scary and the pharm companies are out for money, but what are the alternatives? If your husband is like mine or Whispering Winds? I started in January taking meds for hypothyroidism. I really didnt like the idea of synthetics in me, but what choice do I have? I also have Reynaulds Syndrome because of the low thyroid. Without them I cant even go outside if it gets colder than 40 degrees without my fingers and toes turning white and loosing feeling. or get food out of the freezer not to mention what else the lack of hormones would do to the rest of my body. I think what really worries us all is the greed and they push meds through without fully testing them.

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    A paranoid conspiracy theory I've never heard of before....COOL!!!! [​IMG]

I think that Catstar explained it best. Drugs work in bodies, which are very complex systems. Making drugs that target specific areas or illness often have unintended consequences. Even men and women do not react to drugs in the same ways. Most early drug studies were done with men only, when women reacted differently than expected to the drugs, it was often dismissed. Foods can also interact with drugs. A very popular allergy med was taken off the market, in large part due to its interaction with grapefruit. Grapefruit juice also causes problems with other drugs, as do certain types of cheese. Bodies and individuals are all very different. Person A can drink red wine, have dark chocolate, orange juice and bacon; but Person B has the same foods and ends up with debilitating migraines.

Most drugs are trade offs between effectiveness, side-affects and usefulness. An acne medicine that might cause lymphoma isn't acceptable. Acne has other treatments, isn't life-threatening, and isn't life limiting. However, a drug that allows a pain filled person to have functional days without addiction might have a tolerable risk of lymphoma. Radiation therapy that might cause cancer in 25 years is probably worth giving the person, who currently has cancer, an extra 25 years.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by