Phase 1 The Hobbitt Hennery is done!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wise Woman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    We finally finished up Phase 1 of our animal housing project. It is a chicken tractor to serve as housing for young chickens, broody hens or injured or sick hens. I had no where to separate them before so we decided this would be the first order of business. It is all done except for putting cement blocks under it. Hubby will get those when he goes to get the ones for the new coop.

So here it is and the new girls seem to like it as well. It isn't exactly how I wanted it, but considering the husband I have to work with, I am lucky it is as good as it is. I would have preferred side doors, but oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do want to add a perch though. We put a free standing one in there and they don't seem to use it. They were perching in their brooder but now I keep finding them all huddled up together in the corner so I will have hubby re-do the free standing one to make it higher for them. Otherwise, we are good to go.

2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Looks nice! I'd love one of those for my broody chickens or as a grow out pen.

3. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Looks good!

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Super cute!

5. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    What a cute coop! [​IMG], this is a little off-topic but I love the stone path going by the coop [​IMG] so jealous

6. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Looks like the perfect set up! I can see how one would come in handy, we have a separated chick right now. Love the color scheme too [​IMG]

7. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    It's adorable!! [​IMG]

8. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Awesome!

9. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. It isn't perfect, but it will serve the purpose and looks cute as well. It is very close to our house so we can keep an eye on whoever happens to be in there. If we aren't using it, I plan to cover it with a tarp to protect it from the weather. I might even move it come winter as that is usually where we pile up the snow! But I will worry about that when the time comes I suppose.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I agree with you about putting doors on the sides too. When we built our coops my husband would ask how I wanted it and I would tell him and even draw pictures. He always says that my ideas are flawed and he has better ones. He has good ideas but it doesn't make things easier for me and I'm the one who cares for the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by