Phasing out incandescent bulbs... what's your chick-raising plan?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iamcuriositycat, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Buy purpose-made heat lamps

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Use another powered method, such as under-brooder heat pads or a professional brooder

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Use a non-powered method, such as switching to broody hens, insulated self-heating boxes, or raising

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Stock up on 40-watt (or other) incandescent bulbs and use them for as long as I can

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Other (please specify in the comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Here in the U.S., phasing out of incandescent bulbs has begun. I think they just phased out 75 watt bulbs, and are headed toward everything else including 40-watts (the most popular wattage for raising chicks). Many countries have already phased them out--if this applies to you, answer with what you have already done/are doing.

There goes our cheap, reliable, easily-replaced source of heat for chicks. What's your plan?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I keep drooling over the sweeter heater and haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money yet to buy one. But that is my long-term plan I suppose. Currently I use 100 watt bulbs (I have up to three of them going at once in the winter) for brooding.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I like my Fostoria FFH series heat lamp. The quartz tubes last a long time. I'm still using the original 7years later. I just use 150 ZooMed or 250 watt Doc Woody's heat lamp bulbs for in house brooding.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by