Pheasant Catching

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Nickeyo, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering if it is illegal to trap live pheasants on your own land. I have a pheasant round on my land that is becoming quite tame, my neighbour holds pheasant shooting so I was hoping I could catch it and keep it until the hunting season is over at the end of feb, If I caught it I would properly breed from it and then real ease it and it's babies, any advice

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    whats the difference between shooting them and trapping? i mean if he can shoot them on his land i dont know why you couldnt trap them to save their lives. geez.. what a messed up place we live in

3. Nickeyo

Well that's what I thought but it's illegal to trap wild birds but I was wondering if that applies to game birds

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i was going to see if i could find it and i looked for where your at. England ! i doubt if i could find it but i will try.

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    www.naturalengland.org.uk im not sure if this is what you need buy there are certin times of the year you can do this and a liscence is required if im reading right

6. Nickeyo

It was very useful, thank you

7. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I don't see why you shouldn't be able to trap the bird on your own land. Who's to say that the bird wasn't yours and your only trying to recover an escaped pheasant. I'm not sure about GB, but in the States you do have to have a license to be in passion of any type of game bird, except ornamentals. Its best to not to try and catch him during daylight. If you can find where he roosts and have a good long handled next the are pretty simple to catch. Good Luck to You and the Pheasant

8. Nickeyo

Well I did nearly get him but my net for caught in the tree because it was a Horthorn so he flew off

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hahah, to be a fly on the wall! what is hawthorn? they wont use trap?

10. Nickeyo

It Is tree that has loads of large spikes on its branches, I do have a trap I built but I'm just adjusting it at the moment

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by