Pheasant Changing Sex

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by DuranAndy, Aug 14, 2011.

1. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    So I had a pair of yellow golden pheasants, but earlier this year my male died. Now I think my female is changing sex. She's getting all of the male feathers and characteristics. I heard that when one of a female pheasant's ovaries is damaged, it causes a lack of estrogen which leads to male feathering. I was planning on selling her and getting a pair of something else, but now I don't know. How common is this? Has anyone else had it happen? What should I do with her now?

2. adriano

adriano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    Yes it does happen.
    I had a Lady Amherst hen change after a year plus.
    Will get a pic up here for you.
    You cant sell her as she is not suitable for breeding etc.
    I just put mine in with a pair of peacocks and some partridge and let her be.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yes you are right about the ovarian damage. But not in changing sex, that's not possible, they are what they are, but yes it does happen from time to time that females will take on a male plumage look in many upland gamebirds, pheasants and peafowl seem to happen most frequently, but it is still a rare occurance overall.

4. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Are you sure you had a pair to begin with? Goldens get their color in the second year and you may have a young male that is now feathering out. Unless your familiar with their plumage patterns, first year males and females can look similar. The hen you thought you had may have been a male all along. Unless, of course, you got eggs from "it" this spring.

5. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Obviously they can't change sex, but a in a shortage of males, often a hen will develop male plumage. It is quite common in ring necks. She will not grow spurs either. It has nothing to do with ovary damage, it is a protective mechanism.

6. DuranAndy

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    Yes, i'm positive it is a female. She is about three years old, and I did get eggs from her this year.

7. DuranAndy

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:What do you mean, a protective mechanism?

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    actually it can and often does have a lot to do with ovarian damage shutting off the production of estrogen. Not saying the way you mentioned cant be a possibility too, but ovarian damage is the most usual cause, not lack of males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by