Pheasant chick--i think dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by umenis, Jul 4, 2011.

1. umenis

umenis New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    We found a pheasant chick huddling under the car trying to hide on saturday. It seemed healthy. Probably a day or two old, my husband (who is familiar with birds) thought. No mom or babies in sight.

It wouldn't eat or drink on its own but otherwise seemed happy on saturday and most of yesterday. I've been studying everything I can find on them. We've done the best we can do with the very limited resources we have. We've been feeding it egg yolk with any mosquitoes or ants we can get for it. It really liked the mosquito yesterday. It drinks if we help it. I've been trying to add in some whole wheat bread mash. There's no game bird feed easily available here. I don't have a light for it. But its hot here now. At least 9o during the day and more than 8o at night.

It doesn't eat or drink on its own, still.

But it seems like its dying now. It keeps getting itself all wet. even with the marble in the waterer. I keep it warm on the stove or in a sunny spot when i can. but we found it soaking wet at 5 am. im really thinking of taking the water out since it doesn't drink on its own anyways.

we dont p[lan to keep it--its a wild bird. but im afraid if we put it back out it will die for sure now,.

im so sad [​IMG] what can i do to help this guy without any professional resources?

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Try feeding it some seeds as well, but with the bugs you're giving it, IT NEEDS GRIT! If there is any available, you have to get some chick grit soon. Also, crushed egg shell will help it, although it dissolves. You could try mushing up some rocks, but I don't know what sort of rock would be ok... Bread is not the best thing for birds, especially pheasants, but it should be okay. Is it eating very much?

Chicks are used to cuddling under their mother's wings at night, so it could also get cold. If it doesn't drink the water at all, you could try dripping some into its mouth with a fountain pen filler?

And is it pooing at all?

3. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    It could also be lonely, and cuddly toys can act as mothers too.

4. umenis

umenis New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    Thanks so much for your reply.

Its so lethargic now. It doesn't even seem to want to eat when I hand feed it--though it is drinking well (again from hand only). Surprisingly, for how little it eats, I am seeing its waste.

I can get chicken food. Two of my neighbors have chickens. Its really common here.

What's really weird is that even though the down on its back and wings has dried off and fluffed up, the down on its head still looks wet and/or matted--almost like there is none.

5. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    I think it would be best to contact a wildlife rehabilitation place in your area because if you aren't planning on keeping it then you need to get it to people who know how to raise it up properly so it can be released into the wild. You have to raise it like its mother would otherwise you will end up with a bird that can't survive in the wild.

Definitely keep it warm, get it grit, maybe try some electrolytes to help it perk up and maybe it will help it get to eat and drink on its own. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by