Pheasant Chick Question

AKNan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Homer, Alaska
I have 26 ring neck pheasant chick 4.5 weeks old. They are loosing their down and getting adult feathers but I find it odd to see all these almost bald backs on them. Is this normal in the process of going from down to feathers? This is the first time I've ever raised pheasant and I plan to let them loose at around 6-8 weeks of age depending on how well they are doing. Any advice would be appreciated from those of you who have raised pheasant chicks.

That is normal and they should grow their back feathers at 6-7 weeks old. I'd release them at around 8 weeks old. They have great feather development at that point.

They are pecking at each other because they either don't have enough room or they are bored.
I also wouldn't realease them until theya re older and can defend themselves a little bit more.

Thanks not having raised them before I was wondering. I don't think they are picking each other and they all look the same and there is no blood.

Update to my pheasant comments and questions. We released the birds at 6 weeks old. I would have liked to keep them to 8 but as it turns out they were all starting to peck each other very badly. I figured they would have a better chance loose to survive. They are doing well so far out of 25 around 7 took off flying and the rest stayed around here in the tall grass and plants. I have food out so they come to the board and eat and go in and out of the grass. I learned a lot with this batch and now know what I would do differently next year.

I am feeding the pheasant Game Bird Starter. I don't have the tag now but I think it said 25% protein. The chick starter I have is 22%.
The pheasant are doing really well loose and come to the feeder daily which I keep filled. I also give them corn. They have stayed together in a flock. There is plenty for them to eat in the wild here.

Update on our 25 pheasant we turned loose 3 weeks ago at age 6 weeks. The photo shows them on 7/7/14. Today their backs are completely covered with feathers and I only see one that is having the pecking on the back problem out of all of them. They look really good and I can now see at 9 weeks which ones are the males as they are changing. They range out farther from the house in the tall grass we have here in Alaska. They do come each day to the feeder still. I'm thinking we'll try this again next May as it didn't turn out badly after all. This was our first experience raising pheasant chicks.

I am up in the northeast, & the cold weather is very hard for them. Lack of as much food & cover/shelter. Where they get in trouble is when they rely on birdfeeders and range feeders. Its alot easier than lookin for natural food. Predators learn about the feeding spots & use them to their advantage.

Back
Top Bottom