Pheasant chicks eating chick starter?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by muscovy94, Jun 19, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone I have 3 fertile ringneck pheasant eggs in my bator and was wondering if they could eat chick starter when they hatched? I know they are supposed to have gamebird starter, and I am going to try my hardest to find it, but if I dont find it would it be ok for them to eat chick starter? Or would I be better off ordering some online? If so can someone give me a website where I can get it at?

Thanks.

2. DITB

DITB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    you can feed them chick starter mixxed with some scrambled in microwave or hardboiled eggs for a few days until you find some gamebird starter. tractor supply should have game bird starter or they would probably order it for you if you ask

3. chrisarvor

chrisarvor Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    bulgaria
    i cant get Gamebird strater and have to use chicken starter
    I have raised about 8 pheasants,Golden and yellows also Gambels Quails etc no problem

The turkey starter i can get is granules
    I didnt think this would be ok for small pheasants and quail

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I tossed some turkey starter 27% in a blender.

5. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    The turkey started l bought for my commons was already ground up. At 4 weeks I've been giving them the regular pellets that I feed the adults. They didn't like it so I gave the pellets a spin in the blender and they will eat that.

6. kikescove.com

kikescove.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Selah Washington
    Chick starter OFTEN plugs up the digestive system of gamebirds and will KILL them. Speaking form experience, I wouldn't risk it. Pheasant starter is NOT hard to find. There is a reason why they sell both kinds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by