Pheasant Chicks: Unmedicated or medicated Gamebird Starter?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by muscovy94, Jun 16, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I (hopefully) will be having some pheasants hatching in a few weeks and was wondering. Which is better? Unmedicated or medicated?

2. DaKid

DaKid Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    I ALWAYS WAS TOLD TO USE (Unmedicated ) Game starter for Ducks - Pheasents and Quail and thats what I 've been using for the last 4 yrs .

I only use Medicated feed for chickens and turkeys

hope this helps and other will chim in

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Medicated won't hurt them, I use it, Cocidiosis protection.

4. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Songster

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    We use medicated, but we are raising thousands at a time.

5. We use medicated

Steve

6. oleduke

oleduke In the Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    I only raise a few every year, and mostly ring-necks at that. I use UN-medicated for a handful and they seem to stay healthy. This is the first year I hatched and KEPT any Golden's and I am feeding the 6 I am raising UN-medicated now. None are sick BTW...

7. ranit

ranit Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    For the pheasant & quail chicks I use Purina gamebird startena 30% protein & medicated with BMD if I remember correctly. This helps control Ulcerative Enteritis (commonly called quail disease). We used a different gamebird starter one time which was nonmedicated but we seemed to have a higher mortality especially with the bobwhites. Once they're about 3-4 weeks old I start mixing in some of our adult feed which we have custom made as we go through about 1000# every 2-3 weeks.

8. paul88

paul88 In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    I've always used medicated feed for chicks. I used to raise around 500 ringnecks a year for game clubs.

9. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chirping

Jul 1, 2010
    I wouldn't use medicated if I were you, unless like the other people said you are raising them by the thousands. If you feed them medicated they eventually will build up an immunity to the medication and will be untreatable if they contract a disease later in life. That is, of course, if you feed them that as their only feed until they are adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by