Pheasant experts!!!! is this bird breeder quality?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ticks, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    This is my dominant cock-bird I want to know if he looks good for breeding, he is not largest of birds, but certainly not the smallest. He has a nice long tail
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice looking boy there, he will fatten up you'll see. mine always look small starting off, but boy do they pack weight and muscle on as they become very mature birds..
    They sure are ugly ducklings when starting out the males, but once mature you get all the beauty and color to see...

Charlie

3. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    He would be a grade A breeder bird in my book!
    [​IMG]

4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    A very nice looking Ringneck pheasant. Keep him for breeding. Watch out next spring when breeding season comes along. He will get aggressive, and may hurt the hens.

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    thanks everyone. [​IMG]
    I have looked at other birds in my flock but the wattles on them were nothing compared to his. Then the ones that had nice wattles had they wood have large heads or something else that wasn't right.

6. wilds of pa

wait till breeding season and you will really see those wattles and tassels(tufts) on the top sides of the head..

Here you can see the tassels on the side of his head, Wizzard is going on i think 2-1/2 this year, waddles are cool as well
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Oh wow Charlie hes beautiful! so much bigger than my little scrawny thing.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  8. wilds of pa

Well ticks, your guy will pack some weight on by next year..They really get better with age..

Charlie

here is a 7 year old cock bird a freind of mine gave me two years ago, but i had to return him as my one male didnt not like him and he would have killed the nice old boy.
    He is still alive today and is now going on 9 years old..

at 7 years old..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Thanks will he gain it by breeding season do you think? Mine is so little compared to yours he is kind of cute. That is a beaustiful melanistic cross.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Wow do I miss pheasants! I'd say he's a keeper, for sure.

Btw, Charlie do you sell started pheasants or just eggs or what? I'm considering them for spring. March-Aprilish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by