Pheasant flight pen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Flipp, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Flipp

Flipp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Ok im in the process of deciding to take down 4 HUGE pine trees where i want my 40 ft x 25 ft Pheasant pen to be or should i build the pen around them and leave them. I was thinking if i horseshoe nail the flight netting to the pine trees it will help in the sagging dept... Anyone have pros or cons on this idea? A con im thinking is if some day the tree falls. Or the wind but the netting would have some play in it. The trees would be on the inside but the netting would connect to them...[​IMG]

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I would keep the trees. But there is ups and downs to that idea.

Positive. - You get shade for the birds.
    Negitive. - You will have to clean pine needles and combs off it regularly or the roof will start to sag heavily and bend your cage's sides.

3. sharp_shepherd

sharp_shepherd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    I agree with keeping the trees. Not only is it a more natural setting but it provides shade and cover if needed.

4. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I would if possible,cut the tops off the trees and keep the bottom,I see the problem with attaching the netting to the trees is if you get high winds,like we sometimes get here,60-80 MPH straight line winds the trees will bend enough or come out of the ground enough to pop the netting off and the birds could escape.

5. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    keep the trees but don't nail into them. over time, and not much time, the attached wire will girdle and kill the tree. i have the same situation and i'm trying to come up with a solution. some sort of collar the fence attaches to but will not harm the tree. or just framing a self supporting structure around it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by