Pheasant hatching problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cypresslog, Jun 28, 2011.

1. cypresslog

cypresslog New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    hey, i just bought a dickies incubator and i am having problems with all of my pheasant being fully developed dead in the egg. I have called Macfarlane pheasants and they told me to put my temp at 99.5 and my humidity to 53% and the last 3 days turning my temp down to 98 and the humidity up to 65% and i had the same results, so then i called Mr. dickie and he said that in his incubators if i turn the temp down to 98 i'll never hatch any pheasants so i did what he said and put my temp at 99.5 and humidity to 55% and he told me for the last 3 days to mist the eggs with a squirt bottle and i tried that and still the same exact results. I bought 3 different thermometers and they read almost the same exact temp, so i am very confused. I live in Louisiana and it gets HOT, so i keep the incubator in a climate controlled room, could that have something to do with it?? I would really appreciate some help

2. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I just hatched 12/18 Ringneck Pheasant eggs in my Dickey on June 26th. I hatched them along with chicken & Guinea eggs.
    I run my incubator very dry.... 28-30% humidity, then at lockdown 50-60%. I have been have great hatches this way. This works for me.
    Good Luck

ETA.... my temps are a steady 99.6

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. cypresslog

cypresslog New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Ok thanks alot i will try that!!

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you are going to mist, be certain that the water is exactly the same temperature as the air in the incubator.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't have a Dickey but I do hatch Pheasants in my Sportsman. I keep the temperature around 99.8 at 50% humidity for the first 21 days then when I go into lock down I keep the temp around 99.8 and bump the humidity up to between 65% and 70%,
    Here is a pic of my last hatch.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  6. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    [​IMG] cmom!

When will your 300 eggs hatch?

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I would calibrate the hygrometer using the salt method and check the thermometer against a known good one

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:They should start hatching on July 9th. I candled the egg before I put them in to look for cracks and won't candle them again until I set them for hatching.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I would calibrate the hygrometer using the salt method and check the thermometer against a known good one

I hear you. I live in Florida and it has been hot here too. I had my Sportsman in a room with AC. My temperature and humidity were fluctuating too much so I turned the AC off and I haven't had to adjust the incubator since. I don't know why the AC seemed to interfere with the temp and humidity but it did. I turned on the AC fan to circulate the air in the room.

Here is a great link on calibrating a hygrometer.
    http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by