pheasant medications?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ticks, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    My ringnecks are 3 weeks and I care about them (even though they don't like me one bit!) and that is why I keep talking about them. The hatchery people told me to add terrmycin to their water at 3 weeks of age to help prevent cocci. I was just wondering if that would do something to them. Are they just fine with regular water? I do need a GOOD reason to go to TSC [​IMG]

2. poopcoop

poopcoop Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    I was told if I had Medicated feed that I should not add anything to the water unless they were sick and then to seperate from the rest of the flock. If I did not have medicated feed then only medicate the water for the first week.

I Hope this helps.

Ray

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Thanks! How do I tell if it is medicated?

4. poopcoop

poopcoop Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    Mine has a tag on the bag that has the ingredients and states Medicated gamebird starter 30% protein.

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    mine is just 24% starter food for chukar, turkey, and pheasant.

6. poopcoop

poopcoop Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    I don't think I would add anything to the water if they are doing fine. I would call around to some of the feed stores and try and find 30% protein and medicated. I had to drive an hour to get it, but glad I did. I feel more at ease noing that it is the same feed my Hatchery uses.

Did you have to get a permit? I had to get one for the quail, but not my pheasant. I guess pheasant are not native to South Carolina, so they don't require it.

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    No. I did not a permit. I think that hatcheries over do the 30% starter. I think 24% works just fine, but it personal preference I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by