1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pheasant Question?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by duckncover, Jan 21, 2010.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Is the a such thing as a tame pheasant? I see them everywhere and they are very pretty but are they just for meat/to look at or can they be friendly? Of course I mean if I raised them from chicks of course. Also I commonly see pheasants in flight pens...if in necessary if you just want a pair? What kinds of sounds do they make/how loud are they? I'm just curious because I'd love to get my hands on a pair of fancy ones like the golden or similar. I actually was given ringneck eggs once but I sold the chicks because I had no idea on their care. Just wondering.

2. bantamsrus

bantamsrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    They can be tame--my cinnamon splash was raised from a chick and handled every day. He was a singleton hatch so he was slightly spoiled. He thinks he's a darn cockatiel and will sit on my shoulder, peck at my rings/necklace. Likes to be hand-fed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other hand, I bought a group of 3 month old female goldens--that must not have had any human exposure. It's 6 months later and I still can't get anywhere near them. They go nuts when I go in their pen, bouncing of the top and sides. That's just when I'm putting in fresh food or changing their water [​IMG]

3. pktuan

pktuan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Quote:is he/she splash golden?

4. bantamsrus

bantamsrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    He is a cinnamon splash golden--pic was when he was about 3 month old, he has gotten a lot more white

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by