pheasant questions lots of them, breeding, calling all phesant folks!!

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
I have never had a pheasant, but I am in love with the grey peacock pheasants and saw a male for sale.

would it be cruel to have just one by itself? I am thinking yes it would...

could one live with chickens? or could I pair it with lets say a silkie as a friend?
Are they spazzy like quail are?

is there anyway I could keep this male and wait until I found it a female or should I just wait until I can find a pair?

Can they live in one of my coops (the small trio coops I was selling? ) or would a real aviary be best?

how long do they live and are they prone to diseases?

Oh and if I was gonna get a female pheasaant can I get a different breed, maybe make some sort of cool mix with the gray peacock and something else, if so what would you recomend?

Last edited:
You can raise them alone,but better with a companion.The hens are real hard to come by now a days,so if you can get a pair that would be best.Pheasants should not be raised in with chcikens as they are suseptible to diseases.Some are spazzy some are not,their a little like humans when it comes to personalities.They need a good amount of space which includes flying room,6 foot high is good and the pen size of 6x12 is plenty of room for a pair.They are very prone to disease.they need to be wormed at least 2 times a year,plenty of fruit and veggies along with a high protein grain.I have a male that is 9 years old,so they do live for a while,I couldn't really tell you exactly how long.They are beautiful birds.
In N.H.,Tony.

oh so I need a pair and a big space to live, I have the space or could even make something new...

btw I would never get something with out getting a book and reading up on it lol this is just the begining of my thought process...

now for breeding questions

what would happen if I bred a gray peacock pheasant male to a

Bornean Crested Fireback pheasant female

or a

Himalayan Monal female?

or a Temminck's Tragopan female?

I understand that I should just have a pair of the same but can I mix 2 breeds to just get the sort of markings I like? will the colors mix, are the genetics like chickens or different? am I just being crazy???

and can it hurt to try lol other than my wallet of course

Last edited:
PLEASE DO NOT CROSS BREED ANY PHEASANT!! One year of cross breeding kills off 7 years of pure birds.I do not belive in cross breeding and encourage others not to.These birds are beautiful in pure form and need to stay that way.We are raising them to help them not do away with them.The numbers of birds in the wild are not doing very good and we need to keep them as pure as possible.Please do not cross any pheasants.Go to www.gbwf.org for info on pheasants.
In N.H.,Tony.

Would not try mixing peacock pheasant with other, for sure not chickens. If you want to make mixs, best with the cheaper pheasants.

Peacock pheasant dont raise that many young, not that easy to raise the chicks either.

Quote:
PLEASE DO NOT CROSS BREED ANY PHEASANT!!

I knew where that was going...
lol.png

wow ok sorry no it was not a joke, I did not see the harm, and di not realize that the common ones I see on eggbid are so rare that mixing 2 birds only would result in such anguish. did I mention that I know little to nothing about pheasants and that I would read up on it? I play with my chooks and different breeds I did not think this was so different.

gonna go start cooking now.

i would not have been breeding them to chickens of course.

hmm.png

Last edited:
Hey Susan-Ill be getting and raising pheasants this Spring for the DEC--Its a program for raising and releasing-anyhoo. If they dont have enough space they will canabalize-very skittish-love to hide in tall deep brush-needs tall flight pens-lay once a year in ealry spring-about 30 eggs per hen. Im also raising some for sale to hunters-Ill let you know all the info I have and learn as time goes on~

Back
Top Bottom