pheasants and chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken gal, Nov 28, 2012.

1. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    I really want pheasants. I've heard that chickens and pheasants don't do good with each other. Is that true? Pheasants are so pretty. I am asking this beacause me and my dad want pheasants. It was hard setting up the chickens. Fencing, but the coop, insulating it, electric- fence, and the heat lamp. (It was hard.) But I guess we could go through that AGAIN!!!! But pheasants are worth it. SO PRETTY!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Sorry the first post up there might be kind of confusing. Let me start again. Do pheasant do well with chickens? I would like to have a couple of male pheasants. I've heard they don't do well with chickens.

3. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    One of the problems I see is that if you free range your chickens you will have to find a way to not let the pheasants out because more then likely they wound not come back. If you can split your coop some how then you should be fine. I am thinking out getting them in the spring also but may build another bird house to house them, I may get a lot of them to raise and release.

4. DaphneNL

DaphneNL Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen a pheasant put in a chicken run with some hens and a rooster. I asked the owner if that was a good idea.
    Turned out it wasn't. The pheasant survived for two horrible days before he got killed by the rooster. I've seen bunnies put in that same run, no problem, but pheasants and chickens seems to be asking for trouble.

5. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    So I will not put my little chickies in with pheasants. Right?

6. DaphneNL

DaphneNL Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it's a good idea chicken gal.

7. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by