Pheasants Info

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Chick_in_Indiana, May 14, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I have 30 wild ring neck pheasant eggs in the bator. Anything special I need to know?

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Make sure they don't drown ini the water. Give them a 24% gamebird starter. And A LOT of space.

3. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    The will hatch in 23-24 days. Incubate same as a chicken egg as far as temp and humidity go. Make sure you have a BIG brooder ready for them once they hatch and dty off in the incubator. The key with pheasants is the bigger the better. Feed them Gamebird Starter feed which is usually a 24%-26% feed. Watch for cannibalism but I have never expirenced any with brooding gamebirds but some people have. Also if you plan on keeping them as adults you will need a fairly big pen that has enough height to it that they can fly. And will probably also need to put anti-peck hoods on the cock birds.
    Good Luck with them anymore questions feel free to ask!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    so you got eggs sam? will you be keeping these pheasant?

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  5. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Lots of room, enrichment, plantings and less birds in the pen will eliminate these hideous devices. I've seen them used as a cop out on too many occasions and seen farms with birds that die when they become trapped in the mesh because of these. If you have to use them, change your husbandry practices.

Sorry for the soap box rant, just can't stand seeing these on birds. Not natural and not needed if things are done right.

Dan

6. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    A cover for the brooder right away! Unless you like chasing tiny baby pheasants around your brooding room [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by