Pheasants just started laying! What should I expect?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Lazuli, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Lazuli

Lazuli New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Northern California
    My year old ring neck pheasants just started laying a few days ago. I have 7 hens and 2 roosters, one rooster is separated though. The hens made two nests and I have also found a few eggs out in their run and in random places in the coop. A dozen eggs have been laid so far. I have a few questions as this is my first time dealing with pheasants during breeding season.

1. Should I collect the randomly laid eggs and add them to their nests or just leave them?
    2. Can I expect the hens to be broody or should I be looking into getting an incubator?
    3. If the hens do decide to sit, should I remove the male when it gets close to hatch date or will he not bother the chicks?
    4. Is it best to keep my hen/rooster ratio at 7:1 or would it be okay to split the hens so the other rooster isn't so lonely? Or could I switch the rooster out every other week, so they each get a chance with the ladies?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. BobDBirdDog

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Update, I just read that a Roo will help in the rearing of the chicks, so that might help answer the question about removing the rooster after they hatch.

http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/phasianus_colchicus.html

Never hurts to keep researching that which we think we already know.

4. Lazuli

Lazuli New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Northern California
    Wow! So much good info, thank you! That link was helpful too. I wonder if when one of the hens goes broody, I took her and the eggs and put them in their own little area, if the rest of the hens would continue to lay? I don't need dozens of chicks, although I do have enough room for them.. I kind of just want to watch and see what happens. But I have fed these birds for over a year and they haven't fed me at all.. it would be nice to get something back from them! How long will it take for the hens to start laying again after the chicks hatch?

5. BobDBirdDog

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    If you dont want a bunch of chicks, I would let them be as they are "all together" and pull the extra eggs after the start setting, you might want to remove that rooster as well (lol). Only nature will stop the production lines otherwise. Remember that 1 breeding is good for about a month of eggs. The rest will keep laying until they are satisfied with their own nest and the fertility is egged out, or so it would seem.

When they start setting the nest, and the rooster is not there to breed them again, pull the excess eggs that you dont want to hatch. They will restart laying eggs, but hopefully they new ones will not be fertilized.

Still, it is early season and i bet they are not setting yet, just laying so I would not jump the gun. When they go to setting is when you might need to place an add in the paper if you have more than you want........or make plans on putting them in the neighbors mail boxes along with a happy birthday card. lol

As for the ROI, raise them up and pretend you are eating at a fancy diner (pheasant under glass) and think of all the money you are saving by eating the same dinner at home. Dont forget to tip the waiter!

6. aaronclements8

aaronclements8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    Georgia
    Will the Roos fight each other until one gives up or to the death?

7. Lazuli

Lazuli New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Northern California
    In my experience, they kill each other when they reach maturity. Had to learn that the hard way.. [​IMG]

8. Pheasantguy2010

Pheasantguy2010 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2015
    NE Ohio
    Same here when we first started raising pheasants!! Its fine to keep them together after the breeding season though.

9. Lazuli

Lazuli New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Northern California
    How do I know when breeding season is over? Will the male stop making his screeching noise?

10. Pheasantguy2010

Pheasantguy2010 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2015
    NE Ohio
    We know when its over when eggs are scarce or the eggs are white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by