Pheasants vent pecking

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I have 8 ringnecks that are about 3 days old. The last one to hatch came out w/ bad legs but has been improveing everyday. Today I heard one making a loud cheeping noise so I went to check and the one w/ the bad legs now has his vent pecked to where it is red and fleshly but not bleeding.
    What can I put on it, if I should put anything on it?
    Can I put him in the incubator for a few days, there's nothing in there right now?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Try dabbing blu-kote on it and make sure the brooder light is a red one. It will help hide the redness of his bottom.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    That could be the first sign of cannabalism!
    once they get the taste for blood it is very hard to stop. A couple questions: what color is the light, hoe big is the brooder, how hot is it.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:I agree with terrielacy. Use the blu-kote but be careful not to get it everywhere. It stays put on skin for a while. I am speaking from experience [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:I wondered how a red light helped in the brooders more than a white one. I was having trouble figuring that one out on my own. LOL

-Kim

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    the red light bulb gives off less light so the white ones have a lot of light making the babies crazy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by