Pheasants?

Mine love grapes.
Some breeds are friendly.
An enclosed run with roosts and a sheltered end
Yes will fly the fence if not in a pen totally secure
Best not to clip wings so they can escape predators, but no need to clip as they wont stay around if they are let freerange
Goldens, yellows etc for beginners

Quote:
CHECK YOUR FISH AND GAME LAWS--- MANY CAN BE QUITE STRINGENT ABOUT LICENSURE TO POSESS OR KEEP THESE BIRDS AND MOST IT IS A CRIME TO RELEASE WITHOUT PROPER PERMITTING AND PERMISSION (AN ESCAPE IS THE SAME THING AS A RELEASE TO A GAME WARDEN)

Last edited:
HA, I was just about to post the exact same comment as above!
These are not really for beginners and should never be thought of as some thing that will stay in the yard, a loose one will be gone before you even notice, the only exception I have found to this would be the silvers, I have about 6 of them running around.
These need very adequate shelter, plenty of run room to the pen, heavy ground cover is always a plus, and each breed's care cane be totally different. Some love cold, some will die in it, some like it hot, some will die in it, some like wet conditions most will get sick in it. Do some heavy research on your individual breeds you like before jumping into it. This will help you, your pocket, and the birds.
I would highly recommend you start with ringnecks varieties and go from there with age and experience
Good luck on all your efforts

Pheasants were taken off of the "Need to have a game farm license" here in WI in 2002. We can raise them as any other bird because of the fact that they aren't a native species to WI. Eventhough we have that choice, the DNR still sells the stamp to allow people to harvest these birds. The Department of Natural Resources has no control over breeding and releasing these anymore but they still charge thier fees to harvest a pheasant. If you raise a pheasant and it gets loose from your enclosure, you are required to purchase a license and an additional stamp to harvest you own bird.

Back
Top Bottom