Pheonix Breed Advice?? (long post)

loverOFchickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Hi,
I'm new to the Pheonix breed and would appriciate any advice.

My 5 silver babies (from McMurray) will arrive in early May.I have a rectangle fish tank for them. If I add a light and make sure they have feed, ventilation, and bedding will that be OK? I got 2 st. run 1 roo and 2 hens will the roos mess up the hens feathering too much for showing?
For when they get bigger I have a 8 by 4 wired in section for them should I cover the wire? How high should I put my roosts?Also I have one golden Pencilled Hamburg if I put her in with them will they get too beat up?
I have heard that they sometimes fade after maturity is this true? If so is thier anything I can do to prevent it? Would this be considerd a defect for showing?
Also how long does it take for 4 foot tails? How long will it be by early August (show time).

I know this gets pretty long
roll.png
but I am totally new to this and can not find much on the internet.Are there any books you would reccommend?
Thanks,
loverOFchickens
D.gif

Last edited:
Fish tanks if large enough make good temporary brooders. What are the dimensions of your tank. Young chicks grow fast and the more room the better they develop. Small areas lead to problems, other than disease, such as feather picking. You can see how this will adversely effect your Phoenix. Try searching for info under longtails, you may find more info. There are some breeders here who have very nice birds. Good luck with your chicks! Have fun!

The dimensions of my tank are 20" by 10" and 12" deep.
Would that be OK for the first two weeks?
Also anyone have any ideas how to put a roost in that?
Thanks,
I am really exited!!!
ya.gif
celebrate.gif

loverOFchickens

Quote:
I raise and Show Phoenix. If you are getting them in May, they will not be old enough in August to Show, sorry. They need to be about 9 months or older to Show. The tails will take a year or more to get long and honestly I would not expect a hatchery bird to have a 4 ft tail.
I keep mine in a converted stall in my barn. they have perches and their feed and water is up off the ground. They do scratch and dust bath, but spend 90% of their time on the perches, this helps keep the tails long.
I also feed mine a cooked mixture 4 days a week and they eat Game Bird Starter the other 3 days.
As far as fading, My BBRed male is over a year old and just as pretty as he always has been, I would not keep them in the sun very much.

Good Luck!

I called the hatchery and they said they can get up to 4 ft.
Why couldn't I show them? Would they be prone to desieses?

Thanks for the link.
Also what kind of cooked mixture?
Thanks,
LoverOFchickens

Last edited:
Shows require the birds being shown to be a minimum of 6 months old. At six months, providing your birds are fed and housed right kept at proper temperatures you may see some decent growth. T

The summer after there hatch is when you will see more growth. The fall shows are hard with yearlings at they will typically give their first molt around 16-18 months of age. Lighting will be a key issue.
Also if you house your show males with hens the girls WILL trash his tail and he will be in a state of dropping feathers for quite some time because of the hormones involved with mating.

Does the show thing include county shows?
Also napalongtail's first cock (that she got from McMurray) got a tail of 3 ft. it says so on her website.Oh and how old was he at that point?

Here is what I am planning to do:
I will keep them in the fish tank for two weeks with a roost. At that point they will be fed chick feed, game starter, and greens.
Then I will move them out to the coop.The coop will have two 1/2 ft. high roosts and some lower ones for the hens.I will move the roosts up as the cocks grow.
The cocks roosts will have food at one end though they will have to get down for water.I will feed the hens in the same way I feed my other chickens by scattering food on the floor.(This is said to lessen the pecking orders effect.
My pheonixes will be fed laying mash, scratch, and table scraps.

I know it is not perfect but it is the best I can do with what I have ot will probably improve as I go.
Thankyou sooooooo much for all your advice it has been extreamly helpful.
smile.png

Last edited:
The show thing does include small 4-H and county shows as well as apa and aba shows.
Yes "beau" did eventually grow to 3ft however that was in his 3rd year. By then the better birds that I had learned what not to do and what had to be done had far surpassed him. Our typical males that we hold as breeders acquire lengths of 14-16 inches by 14-16 weeks of age.

I would not rule out hatchery stock.. Lots of time these hatcheries buy out show breeders birds. Ideal now has red silkies. New color not on the standard yet. I have been very happy with the cochins I got from Ideal. and My Dorkin babies are growing out nice (all have 5 toes and no duck feet HA!). What you need to do is join the APA and get there standard of perfection book. I believe you have as good of a chance to get some decent babies. You just have to know the standard and look at them with an open mind and if you need to improve then start looking for idividiual birds who can help your breeding program. Also join the breed club. Ideal says its birds will have long tails but, not as log as the ones on special food and controlled lighting. So its up to you to search out whats necessary to get the tails long. I have always seen them on perches high off the ground. As far as showing these babies in Aug. I would wait till next Aug. let your babies gro and mature out. Just a lil saying " Good things come to those who wait".
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom