1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Phew!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chick1043, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I let my chickens out to free range today. I was out there about 5 minutes watching them a bit. I know there are hawks in the area but only around about 5 time a year. So, I'm about to go inside and my brothers comes out with food. So basically while we were out there my brother spotted a hawk not to far away! It was coming a lot closer! So my brother and I had to chase the chickens all around the back yard to put them back in the coop..Good thing my brother came outside when I was about to go in and spotted that. I wonder what would've happened if I went inside and no one was out there! lol

2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Do you have a rooster? Because mine keeps an eye to the sky and will alert the others when there's a hawk near. It was funny...yesterday I heard him do that "alert" sound (I call it the "Bruce Lee sound") and when I looked up, there was a large plane coming over the trees.

But anyway, I've read here that you can put something for them to hide under if they are out in the open. It can be a piece of wood on several buckets or a table of some sort...just so they have cover close by if they need it.

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I can't have a rooster because I live in a neighborhood. I really want one though! lol

4. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    Sunday I had a golden egael watching the field behind the house. He was not looking for a chicken dinner, [​IMG] but he was a beautifull bird [​IMG]. Then last Wednesday my mom went to give the girls scratch and there was a hawk sitting on the top of one of the coops in the yard. [​IMG] but thankfully he did not get chicken for lunch. [​IMG]

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Haha, I hope a hawk (or anything else) never gets my birds!

6. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    The hawk I could fight/scare off the egael would scare me off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by