Phlemy sounding breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Joschickens, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Joschickens

Joschickens New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi all, I'm new to chicken keeping, we're veggies and have in the last 2 months got 10 lovely girls from a respectable source of differing varieties, mainly hybrids. My black Cochin (she'll) be approx 20 weeks has started sounding phlemy when she breathes. Seems ok in other respects although went to check all was well after they put themselves to bed and she wasn't perching. Can anyone suggest what it may be/what I could try please? I'm in England, had a couple of ground frosts lately but they are in a decent coop and have an auto door closer so not sat in draughts. Anything from you experienced guys would be very much appreciated :0)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like they may be getting a respiratory disease. Watch for eye bubbles, swelling of the eyes and face, nasal and eye drainage. With new symptoms, I might consider treating with an antibiotic in the water, such as oxytetracycline, erythromycin, or tylosin..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by