Phoenix Chicken with swollen shut eye

johyatt

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Groveland
I have a phoenix chicken not quite a year old, probably 1-2 lbs. She has done something to her eye and it is swollen and she won't open it. She is still eating and drinking and acting normal except she is molting on top of it. She is staying by herself, but really always has. I got some capsules of fish Mox from the feed store, they said to give her. How much do I give her or do I give her this? Any suggestions? Thanks !!!

Last edited:
need pics of this eye. Any swollen parts of her face? any discharge?
If you don't already, it would be best to put apple cider vinegar in the water if she is in the flock. This may help prevent it from spreading in the water (If it is an infection of some sorts).
It's possible that she got a scrape on her eye or has an infection of some sorts. Those both require different treatments. Feed her some scrambled eggs to help her deal with the molting. Molting is hard on them and she could use the extra protein which may help her recover from this faster. Since her body is already working overtime to produce feathers it may need a protein boost.

My silver laced wyandotte has a similar issue making her look like popeye. I rinsed it saline twice and today it looks better and there is one spot that looks like where she might have been stung or bitten by a bug or wasp. She is swollen under her bottom beak too as well as her right ear.

Keep us posted
Hope your phoenix is better
Caroline

The only sign of injury or infection is on her eye. She is still eating, drinking and scratching as normal. I can't get a picture until morning. They sell an eye ointment antibiotic here in town at the feed store as well. I will post the pic in the AM. This has been going on for a week now. Thanks to everyone.

what kind of eye antiboitic?
Sounds like a scratch, but you didn't say if there is any discharge...clear/green/yellow/brown?
Since she is still eating and all she should recover nicely

Back
Top Bottom