Phoenix Chicks Colors.....any ideas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lockedhearts, Oct 2, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have BBR Phoenix Rooster and a Hen ( I am ashamed to say I can't remember if she is a BBR or Gold)
    I posted pics of both parents.
    I incubated 5 eggs, 2 were due and hatched yesterday, the other 3 due saturday.

One Chick is Chipmunk colored (the color of all Phoenix chicks I have seen) one is a very pale yellow.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I may expect color wise from the solid chick?

Parents:

[​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    if a golden phoenix. they will mostly be a lot of Black breasted reds. since the father is and the golden color in golden phoenixs, (and other golden breeds) are from crossing a BBR over a silver, leading the silver turning to a "Dirty" color. the dark ones will most likely be BBRs, light one -golden duckwing, or maybe a silver?, or could all turn out to be BBrs, just light colored as a chick, dont know.. haven't raised phoenixs but do raise OEGBs. and this is what happens in OEGBs

-Daniel

3. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have only ever had Silvers and BBRs as Chicks, they were always Chipmunk color, this light one is throwing me. I emailed the lady I got them from, she breeds longtails and has for many years. Hoping I can get an answer. It will be interesting to see what the other 3 eggs from the same cross produce.

4. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    post me a pic of the chicks and I'll tell you. Both are from very tight BBR lines, however that hen was running out prior to shipping w alot of younger males. We have had hens hold sperm for up to 60 days.

5. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    JJ,
    I will have to post tonight. I took pics and brought camera to work but my card is too big for the laptop here.
    We lost the little chipmunk colored one [​IMG] he had something wrong, kept holding his head straight back and flipping over, I called him "Flip" he was gone friday when I got home.
    But another of Leto's eggs was pipped this morning and a second had a faint crack, so hoping for more "kids" . Wilma's one egg was developing so I go 2 more this weekend and added them to the bator.

I will email and post the pic of the one chick later.

Edited cause I can't spell.....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Here is a pic of my golden phoenix as a chick:

[​IMG]

And a few weeks later

[​IMG]

And current Not a great pic but he is behind the splash orp on the left side of the pic

[​IMG]

7. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Here are my silvers when they were younger.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by