Phoenix Feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RockyPhoenix, Jan 25, 2010.

1. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    how can i keep my phoenixes tail feathers in good shape??? they are really long and i cant put him in a pen with a high perch yet....

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I'm not sure. My daughter wanted one last year. I didn't get it because they're high maintance. I had read that in order to get the really long tail feathers, they need to be housed by alone. Thats about all I could find. If you have time sometime, we'd love to see some pics of him! [​IMG]

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Keeping him from having to drag them through mud will probably help. So if you get a lot of mud, maybe a pen with wood shavings as bedding to help keep his feathers clean? And not overcrowding would be a help, so he doesn't have other birds always stepping on his tail.

4. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    hes in a pen with the 5 girls he was born with (there were 6 of them in that brood) and his feathers are long! lol they have corn cob bedding and its clean...they arent that high maintenance to be honest....his little brother (same parents, different brood) and him tried to fight through the chicken wire and he broke a toenail...it was bleeding but some neosporin stopped it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by