Phoenix newbie- pens and weather questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by USAmma, Oct 3, 2013.

1. USAmma

USAmma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I have wanted to own chickens for a long time, but alas we are not allowed to do it in my city. I think quail would be fine as long as I don't have too many. The weather is getting nice and I'm ready to go forward with my plans. I already have done a lot of reading here on the forums. I have several questions.

1) Do they ever climb up a ramp to roost? I have my eye on this awesome small chicken coop for sale this weekend at a feed store. The nesting area is up a ramp. Will the quail use this, or would it be better to buy a single level coop?

Here's what I found but locally it goes on sale for $139 this weekend
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...i_sku=SPM5822532605&sid=IDx20130125xMPPETx021

I have my eye on this one, too, but would have to order on-line
    http://www.amazon.com/Ware-01533-Premium-Backyard-Hutch/dp/B000HGB93E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_5

2) Can they be on the actual ground (will they dig their way out) or must they have wire on the bottom?

3) We have an ant problem at certain times of the year. Would the quail be bothered by the ants on the ground? Or would they just eat them or something? Or would the ants eat the quail??

4) Anyone here who have raised quail in the desert? It gets very hot in the summer. I can put the coop in a shady location but it's still pretty darned hot in the shade. Do they need anything special or will they survive just fine? In the winter it gets to freezing sometimes. I am assuming if I put down some straw and they have a shelter box they will be okay, right?

5) Will they lay eggs year round? Or only in warmer weather?

6) How long do they live? How long do they lay eggs? We don't eat meat. I will keep them around for their whole natural lives, just wondering how long that will be?

7) Can I keep just hens and have them still lay? As I said we don't eat meat, I don't want to take a chance of any hatching, and males are noisier. Would rather avoid males if possible.

P.S. I also own two parrots! :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    A lot of questions. Here is a link that can be of assistance. I don't live in the desert, so I can't honestly answer anthing about them. I looked at the links you had for quail cages. I do believe that one of the members in built similar to the second link... for a fraction of the list price listed on Ebay. I have basic carpentry skills, and built something similar for my quail in a few hours one saturday. I think I spent less than $20 on this "tractor" that I put my quail in when I clean their cages. Here is a link to a cage you may consider, for far less, but you can only buy it in the store and not online.
    I hope this is of some assistance,
    James
    Edited to add: Just re-looked at the ebay link you posted... it looks like the wire is 1" x 4"; not very "protective" of the birds you would want inside.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. marksouth

marksouth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    I have the redwood looking one from amazon. Someone was getting rid of it and I never turn down a free cage. I use it from time to time when cleaning cages and such and the birds really like the hutch area. Its really sturdy but I put half inch wire in the bottom and set it on blocks.

4. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Hi, I raise quail and pheasants, probably pretty close to you. If you would like to PM me I think I can help you with most of you quail questions for Maracopa county.

1 person likes this.
  5. marksouth

Jul 11, 2013
    Ok things work unti they don't. I used the redwood cage from amazon last night to house a bird I inteded to cull and something pulled it thdough the wire. I suspect an owl so hats off to james the bald and next time I'll listen to him

6. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    MarkSouth, I'm sorry to hear about your quail. It could have been a cat, or oppossum or anything. What you can do in the meantime is get some 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth, pull that other stuff off and staple the hardware cloth in... or you can just staple the hardware cloth overtop of the current wire. If something got in once, it WILL get in again.
    James

Edited to add:
    Here is a few links that you may find useful.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12098286_make-wire-clipped-quail-pens.html

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/foru...n/115787-anyone-raise-quail-pen-building.html

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. USAmma

USAmma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks for your help! The quail chicks arrived today. :) I settled for a small coop with a fine wire mesh. Right now though, I have them indoors since they are only 2 days old. I'm super excited to get started with this new hobby.

8. marksouth

Jul 11, 2013
    Thanks James I'll do that. I'm sure you are right about it coming back. I have a screech owl I hate as about when you're good and asleep it gets in the tree right outside my bedroom window. I'm blaming it on him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by