1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Phoenix sexing!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Soli, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Soli

Soli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    This is the first year I've raised a large number of chicks. One thing has me puzzled - I get three basic juvenile feathering styles in my silver duckwing chicks - dark/mostly black chicks with prominent combs (roosters), white/silver headed and chest (pullets) and then I get ones that look like a pullet in all respects (white chest, minimal comb) but have a black head. It's these last ones that have me puzzled.

I think they are cockerels, just perhaps less flamboyant ones. But I'd like back-up opinions.

This photo is of roughly 8 week old chicks, all from the same batch. The far right you can see the clear rooster - left under the hen is a pullet, and you can see two of the black headed mystery chicks.

My gut response is that the darker chicks will end up with better feather as adults - both male and female (I do have one pullet that has a lot of black on her chest compared to the others). I'm very curious to see if this is correct - input is welcome.

[​IMG]

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    You have three pullets, and one cockerel. I am going on general body type, feathering, as well as breast coloration. Males have to have black chests in wild types.

This year I had quite a few pullets hatch out with black heads, which I haven't seen in the past. However, in past the parenting fowl were Black Breasted Red X Gold Duckwing. This year they are Easter Eggers X Gold Duckwing. Just as in the before I am getting Silver Duckwing, Gold Duckwing, and Black Breasted Red. However, about half the Black Breasted Reds are hatching with black heads. Their coloration alters slightly as they age, but ultimately in the end they have black heads as adults.

3. Soli

Soli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I hope you're right in the sense that it will make selling the culls easier down the road- but it also means I'm averaging about 75% pullet hatching.

4. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i would agree with 3 pullets and 1 roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by