phoenix temperament

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sebright_breeder, Jun 28, 2011.

1. sebright_breeder

sebright_breeder New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    i just ordered a breeding pair of phoenix's and a orpington rooster i was wondering if anyone could tell me if the phoenix will be gentle towards him or not if anyoce can help it would be great

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I've worked with a handful of them and they were all friendly in general, though a bit on the hyper side IMO

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    roosters fight

4. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I believe that should be a rule with ALL chickens, heck all poultry! If there are ladies to be had, they'll go at it!

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the? ask well the phoenx rooster get along with the orpington rooster probly not

6. JTRZWestminster

JTRZWestminster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    I severely doubt the Phoenix rooster will get along with any other rooster. I have one myself and he is very belligerent to the other rooster, even though the other was here and established first.

7. Anika Bren

Anika Bren Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    For the last four years I have had Phoenix and Dorking roosters running together, with younger cockerels until they get sold or eaten. I have only had one fight between the alpha and second. I sold the deposed alpha.
    None of them are the same age and they are free range during the day.
    If I were to try to bring in an adult rooster I am sure that the established males would attack on sight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by