phoenix

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by summerb76, Oct 23, 2008.

1. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    I just got 3 phoenix...2 oullets and 1 roo. I was told they are 4 months old, but they are tiny and the roo hasn't crowed. At what age should he crow and what size do they get?

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I'm not sure I can help with the crowing, but they are not a very big breed and they should probably only get 6 pounds at the most (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

3. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Phoenix come in both standard size and bantam

51/2 lbs for roos and 4 lbs for hens
    showable colors are silver and golden
    in the full size birds. They are a fun breed friendly if worked with young and will grow up to be a real croud pleaser
    pic is of Silverrado my Phoenix roo
    [​IMG]

4. summerb76

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    here is Joaquin. He is a bantam size I was told. He is a silver phoenix....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How old do you think he is? Does he look to be a good quality bird, not that I want to show him though.?

5. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

My 5 month olds I hatched, the eggs were advertised as silvers,goldens and silverblues. I think I have a golden and a silver/blue. These are not bantams and weigh about 4 pounds now (just a guess)

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:His tail looks to straight up for a pure phoenix, I have both Large and a Bantam and none of the tails on the boys ever stood straight up like that. Maybe Napalongtails will get on and see this, she is very good with Phoenix as that is what she raises.

7. summerb76

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    Thaks for the input. Even he's not pure, I knoe he will be beautiful when hes older. I hope Napalongtails sees this thread.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Here is Antonius Horribilus, my Silver Phoenix rooster I had a few years ago. It was windy, so after I worked in the yard, I grabbed Antonio so I could have some pictures of his crazy sickles blowing around in the wind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    My Gold Phoenix started learning how to crow at about 1 month old. It kind of freaked me out because they were my first ever chickens and I had them out in the garage and I thought one was choking on something and ran out there to find out what was going on and noticed him trying to crow.

Jayare

10. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    My reply was about standard Phoenix, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by