Photo blog on how to process :)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by booker81, Apr 25, 2011.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'm going to try to put this here on my page for BYC, but it's a lot of pics and a bit of time for getting it all formatted and order, so I figured I'd just post the link to my blog [​IMG] These were done last week, and my brother took pictures. Finally weighed the frozen birds and came up with 5lbs+ for them, woo!

How to process chickens at home

4 people like this.
  2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    This is excellent! Our meaties arrive at the end of May, I will be using this post come processing time.
    Thank you very much for this post.

3. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Thanks for the post. I'll be processing later today and will definitely use this! It will be a whole-family affair. [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    That is extremely helpful, thanks for posting it!

5. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    Was hoping you'd do this for folks......great job

6. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Wow! Great picture reference!

I will definitely be referencing this in a few weeks time when I process my first batch of meaties!

Thank you for sharing!

[​IMG]

7. Mallory

Mallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Walbridge, Ohio
    Another great tutorial/show-how. I've bookmarked it! Thanks!

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Wonderful!! This needs to be a link somewhere.

9. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:This was really awesome, thank you...

I just posted asking people to help me convince the guys to do meat birds..but the issue is..it is no where near the cost of going to the store. Rising costs = water and feed prices. While I get the desire to raise our own so we know what is in it...when I buy chicken for 99ยข a lb which means I am buying a whole chicken for under $5 usually, the cost to buy the birds, feed them, water them, etc...is almost $10 per bird..or am I missing something?

From what I can find..small quantity of meat birds in the 2 dozen range is $2 per bird plus shipping...I know Meyers charges $20 = $70, you said 200lb of feed x 2 = 400lb = 80 bags of feed at basically $20 each = $160, plus the additional water..let's be cautious and say $25 in water..so now we have $160 plus $70 plus $25 = $255 for 25 birds..over $10 per bird [​IMG]

I am open there are options to feeding meat birds more economical feed..ESPECIALLY since all the feeds here that aren't over $1 per lb, have soy and are not organic anyway.

10. Mallory

Mallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Walbridge, Ohio
    I was wondering the same thing, GiddyMoon, after reading through your thread and the replies. Maybe meat birds aren't worth my money and I'll just enjoy the occasional cull bird... ? Either way, still good to know how to do it I think. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by